As I am getting back on track, I know that means I have to do a lot less eating out & a lot more cooking. Not that I can't eat out, but cooking gives me control over what goes into my food & how it's prepared. That being said, this week I got back in my kitchen and came up with this recipe for some healthy & scrumdeliumptious quesadillas that have surpassed any of the restaurant quesadillas I've had in flavor. They're also very Weight Watchers friendly :-)
Spinach & Chicken Quesadillas
Serving Size: 1 or 2 quesadillas
Points Plus Values: 4 for 1, 8 for 2**
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast w/ rib meat
4 cups water
1 tbsp taco seasoning (I like Taco Bell's)
1/2 tbsp Goya Adobo seasoning
3 tbsp Mami's Sofrito (recipe will be posted)
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 to 3 cups fresh baby spinach
1 oz shredded extra sharp 2% cheddar
1 Laughing Cow garlic & herb cheese wedge
2 Ole Xtreme Wellness High Fiber Low Carb tortillas
1. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Cover & simmer over medium heat until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken breasts and shred with two forks. Place the shredded chicken back into the simmering pot & reduce to low.
2. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic & spinach. Cook until just wilted & remove from pan.
3. Preheat griddle to 375. Spread each tortilla with 1/2 Laughing Cow cheese wedge.
4. Measure out 4 oz of shredded chicken. You will use 2 oz for each quesadilla.
5. Lightly spray the griddle w/ cooking spray. Place both tortillas on the griddle, cheese side up. Sprinkle a little shredded cheese on 1/2 of each tortilla. Add 2 oz chicken to 1/2 of each chicken. Add half the spinach to each half. Then add remaining cheddar to each half. Fold each tortilla over the filling side.
6. When underside is golden brown, flip each quesadilla over & cook until golden brown. Then serve!!!
- You can accompany the quesadilla(s) with 0 point salsa or pico de gallo.
- Other filling options that won't change the points values: bell peppers, onions, mushrooms.
- You will have plenty of chicken left to make more quesadillas or stay tuned for my Easy Chicken & Black Bean that uses the leftover shredded chicken.