Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fit 4 Flava ROTW 3/8/11 - Country Lovin Grits in the Oven

After spending my whole life saying "I hate grits!", I became a convert when I stayed at a bed & breakfast in a small town in Georgia for my on-campus interview at Georgia Southern. When I sat down for breakfast the morning of my interview, the owner placed a small ramekin of something that looked rather unfamiliar in front of me. Seeing as how I was staying at a one-woman operation and there were no other breakfast options in sight, I began to eat it and assumed it was some baked eggs casserole. As I was halfway through, I asked "what is this?" and she said "Sausage grits casserole". My immediate reaction was "I don't even like grits, but this is GOOD!" This is my low-fat homage to the Georgia Bed & Breakfast Sausage Grits Casserole! I hope you enjoy!

Country Lovin Grits in the Oven

Ingredients
1 16oz pkg turkey breakfast sausage
1 small onion, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, minced
4 cups fat-free milk
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
1 cup quick-cooking grits (5 minute kind)
1 c. half and half
1/2 c. light sour cream
2 c. 2% shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided


Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. 
2. In a large skillet on medium-high, brown the sausage, onions and garlic. Set aside. 
3. In a large saucepan, bring the milk & chicken bouillon to a boil, stir in the grits, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the half and half, sour cream and 1 cup of the shredded cheese into the grits. 
5. Stir in the sausage mixture. 
6. Pour into a 9x13in baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and bake until cheese melts and starts to brown. 




No comments:

Post a Comment