Thursday, February 4, 2010

Fit 4 Flava ROTW 2/4/10 - Sandi's Guac dat Rocks

You can thank Aretha for me posting the very FIRST Fit 4 Flava Recipe of the Week (ROTW)! The minute she saw my guacamole-inspired Facebook status, she sent me an inbox message and asked for the recipe! Now I readily admit that I've switched it up a couple of times and find now that I've really perfected it to my liking!  I've even used it as salad dressing with some extra salsa & greek yogurt! 

Sandi's Guac dat Rocs

Ingredients
3 ripe haas avocados
3 tbsp salsa
2 tbsp non-fat greek yogurt (or fat-free sour cream)
2 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp lime juice
garlic powder, goya adobo powder, salt, black pepper and ground red pepper (ALL TO TASTE)

Directions
 
1) Slice avocados in half, remove pit (reserve one pit for storage), scoop out flesh into a bowl and mash until desired consistency (chunky vs smooth)

2) Mix in salsa, greek yogurt, hot sauce and lime juice.

3) Season to taste with goya adobo powder, garlic powder, salt (sparingly), black pepper & ground red pepper.

4) Serve w/ fresh veggies or tortilla chips (baked or regular depending on your preference)

Serving Size = 1/4 cup
Sandi's Notes & Recommendations:
  • Before you put it in the refrigerator, put one of the avocado pits on top of it to keep it from turning ugly brown!
  • I use either the florida big avocados (w/ the smooth skin) or the small haas avocados (the bumpy ones). 
  • I use fresh salsa, specifically I REALLY LOVE the Market Fresh Chipotle Garlic medium salsa I get from Wal-Mart's produce section called Market Fresh 
  • I have a Fire Roasted Habanero hot sauce that is made locally here in GA that I LOVE and that's what I use in this recipe and honestly a GOOD hot sauce will make ALL the difference! (Check out Stripling's Fire Roasted Habanero Hot Sauce and more varieties)
  • While this is a relatively healthy recipe, remember that avocados are high in calories and fat, but it's the GOOD FAT! That doesn't mean eat ALL the guacamole in one sitting. Everything in moderation folks ;o) 

No comments:

Post a Comment